Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amx_reid

Turbo Tax 2020 thinks my mom's tax was never completed. It want's to Netfile it.It was Netfiled refund already in bank. I need to refile. How do I get it to be completed?

This was a final filing as she passed March 2020. However we got a T5 this year for something we were unaware of. I need to refile her last filing to add this in.
2 Replies

Turbo Tax 2020 thinks my mom's tax was never completed. It want's to Netfile it.It was Netfiled refund already in bank. I need to refile. How do I get it to be completed?

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

You can't NETFILE a return for someone who has died during the tax year, so your mother's 2020 return would have had to have been sent by mail. You can't ReFile a return that wasn't NETFILEd. 

Normally, you would have to use the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s My Account service or send in a request by mail, using a completed T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request.

However, as you have received the T5 after the person has died, you can’t just add it to their final return. Instead, you would need to file a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return. 

TurboTax can’t be used to prepare a T3 return, but Intuit has another program called Profile OnePay that can be used. Profile uses EFILE, not NETFILE to submit returns, so you don’t have an EFILE account, you will need to print and mail your return. It is also for Windows only. You can learn more about Profile OnePay on their website here: Profile Onepay - Single return tax preparation software

This TurboTax FAQ has more information regarding preparing returns for the deceased: Can I prepare a return with TurboTax for someone who has died?

amx_reid

Thanks for your answer, however the T3 form wants a Trust number entered and there is no trust account involved here. The money was paid out by cheque and put into a joint chequing account I had with my mom. I have been using this account for all monies coming in for he upon death.

What other options would you suggest?