Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2 dependents tuition credits are appearing under one parents name when I've selected them to be shared across 2 parents is this possible?

I have 2 children both with tuition credits. I plan to have each parent claim for one child but the TT Dependants credit summary shows both amounts under just one parents name. is this going to be a problem with my return?

2 Replies

My 2 dependents tuition credits are appearing under one parents name when I've selected them to be shared across 2 parents is this possible?

Unfortunately the only way to assign the credits from each dependant to different parents when using TurboTax CD/Installed in your computer, is to prepare your tax returns separately.

You will each claim only one dependant on your tax return and the tuition will then transfer to that parent.

Bravo321

@TurboTaxKim This doesn't make sense and should be considered a defect for the download version requiring a fix.