Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArdyC

Refiling 2022's return

Afternoon all,

I realized earlier this year that I could claim my mortgage interest (a portion of) for my rental suite. So I opted to use refile on Turbotax, however at the end after I've made the necessary changes it's asking me to pay the taxes I owe again (albeit a few dollars less as I've added more deductions). 

I've already received my return/paid my taxes but this change should give me approx. $300 back on my return. 

Do I need to pay the taxes again, and get a bigger refund? Or how can I avoid this?

TLDR: Last year wife and I had a return - of around NET $3000. (I received 3300, she owed 300.) After adding the deduction (we split ownership of the rental 50/50) I am now receiving approximately 3200 and she only owes $190. 

However, I already paid the $300 dollars she owed last year when we originally filed our taxes. Now because I'm refiling, the software believes I owe $190.00, even though technically I'm ahead $110 because I paid $300 already.

Is there a way I'm supposed to be doing this that I've missed?

Thanks.

1 Reply

Refiling 2022's return

Your account indicates you have spoken to our telephone support. They have the capabilities of viewing your screen to help you further and view what has been added and if it is correct. I would not pay the same amount again without calling the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.