Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klevine2

Transfer 2019 income tax file to second PC via USB device

I have 2019 Turbo Tax program on both of my TWO PCs and as I fill in 1 Turbo tax program with income, etc. on 1 PC, I then wish to transfer that data to my second PC's Turbo Tax as backup as I take 1 PC or the other on trips. How can I do that using a USB device?

thanks..............

1 Reply

Transfer 2019 income tax file to second PC via USB device

By default, TurboTax saves files to this location (though it may be different on your PC): C:\Users\Your_Name\Documents\TurboTax\ with a folder for each year. You can go into the 2019 folder to find your tax return file. It will have the name of the person (or persons) you are doing the return for, and the extension .tt19.

You can also use the search tools built into Windows to find the file, if you saved them to a different location.

Once you find the file, you can copy it to your USB device to share with your other PC. Just remember to keep track of which version of the file you have where. If you make changes to the return on PC 1, you’ll need to copy that to the USB drive, and then to the other PC. If you are not careful, you may loose data, or even file the wrong version of your return.

If you’d like, you can rename the return files when they are not in use, or use File>Save As inside TurboTax to give the returns a different name each time you edit your return. Ex: tom.tt19 can become tom_v2.tt19 or tom_with_donations.tt19