Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upon filing, a warning came on my husband's return stating that he needed to provide my net income. We are filing together, this should be inputed automatically. Help?

1 Reply

Upon filing, a warning came on my husband's return stating that he needed to provide my net income. We are filing together, this should be inputed automatically. Help?

If you had prepared your returns together, you would have gone back & forth between the two of you, and seen both of your information in the summary pages. When you file separately, you only can enter certain information about the spouse.

If you have started preparing your returns separately, there is no way to join the returns. You can either create a new, separate return for yourself, or create a new joint return for the two of you and re-input your husband’s information.

You can create a new using the Return Manager (under Tools). Once you have started your new return, you can go back into the Return Manager and click the small Trash Can next to any unwanted return to delete it.

To change the spouse’s income on a separate return, choose “Additional Information about [Spouse]” under the “Setting Up” tab.