Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a newborn born January 4th of this year (2019). Turbotax is telling me there is an error in the date, even though I'm entering in proper format (DD/MM/YYYY) Why?

3 Replies

We have a newborn born January 4th of this year (2019). Turbotax is telling me there is an error in the date, even though I'm entering in proper format (DD/MM/YYYY) Why?

Congratulations on the new arrival!

TurboTax is letting you know that your child shouldn't be included on your 2018 tax return since they weren't born before the end of the tax year (December 31, 2018).

You'll enter the baby on your tax return for the first time next year.

But wouldn’t it affect CTB if the child’s not included ? 

It will not affect the Canada Child Benefit for 2019 since the child was not born in 2019, for example, you are filing your 2019 tax return in 2020 and the child is born in 2020. You do not include the child with your 2019 return as the child was not born in that fiscal year.  You will include the child in 2021 when you file your 2020 tax return. 

Please review the link provided below form the CRA on Canada Child Benefit for more information on when & how to apply for it: