Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if CRA is not satisfied with the documents provided for spousal amount?

what happens if CRA is not satisfied with the documents provided for spousal amount? I am a resident in Canada and my wife is in her home country and never been to Canada. We got married this December 2021. I have only sent her 2000 dollars from Canada over the last year. Is it enough to apply for spousal amount? What will happen if CRA is not satisfied with the amount I have sent?

1 Reply

What happens if CRA is not satisfied with the documents provided for spousal amount?

If you are not sure if your situation allows you to claim the spousal amount, you should contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and double-check with them. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency 

If you claim the spousal amount or any other credit or deduction that you are not eligible for, the CRA will require you to pay back any amounts that you received. They may also add other penalties such as interest.