Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I enter my spouse as a dependent? This is needed to populate the necessary amount on Line 30425. Spouse isn't currently an option when adding a dependent.

11 Replies

Where can I enter my spouse as a dependent? This is needed to populate the necessary amount on Line 30425. Spouse isn't currently an option when adding a dependent.

If you are filing your tax return with TurboTax Online Software and you’ve indicated that you are married, the software will ask you for more information about your spouse/partner, specifically whether you are claiming the spousal amount and whether your spouse/partner is dependent on you because of a mental or physical impairment. You need to answer “Yes” for both questions to claim Canada Caregiver Amount.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you for the response. However I've toggled both of these boxes and still nothing is appearing in Line 30425 or 30400 when I review the detailed tax summary.

I've tried doing and undoing this several times and no luck. It just doesn't seem to connect to the tax form. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's an error within the system...

Thank you for the response @InnaE . However I've toggled both of these boxes and still nothing is appearing in Line 30425 or 30400 when I review the detailed tax summary.

I've tried doing and undoing this several times and no luck. It just doesn't seem to connect to the tax form. Any ideas? I'm actually wondering if it's an error within the system...

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I'm having the same issue and by toggling both of those options, I am claiming the disability tax credit. I can't claim the disability tax credit but can claim the caregiver tax credit with a $2,499 amount on line 30300 and $7,999 on line 30425. How do I claim these amounts?

@TurboTaxGinette I just spoke with your team through the link provided and they were unable to understand that the Caregiver Tax Credit is different from the Disability Tax Credit. They continually instructed me to fill out form T2201 by selecting eligibility for the Disability Tax Credit in order to get the Caregiver Tax Credit.

I cannot fill this form out as my spouse doesn't qualify for the Disability Tax Credit but I do qualify for the Caregiver Tax Credit without filing any forms although CRA may ask for a note from a health practitioner detailing when the disability began.  

So the question remains, "How do we claim the Caregiver Tax Credit without the Disability Tax Credit when we can't add our spouse as a dependant?"

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Line 30425 – Canada caregiver amount for spouse or common-law partner, or eligible dependant age 18 or older

If you are eligible for the Canada caregiver amount for your spouse or common-law partner (see line 30300) or an eligible dependant 18 years of age or older (see line 30400), and their net income is between $8,021 and $26,782, you may be able to claim up to $7,999 on line 30425 of your return.

You must first claim $2,499 when calculating the spouse or common-law partner amount on line 30300 of your Schedule 5 or when calculating the amount for an eligible dependant on line 30400 of your Schedule 5, whichever applies. 

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may ask for a signed statement from a medical practitioner showing when the impairment began and what its duration is expected to be.

Not sure what the above reply from admin is intending to answer. 

Being able to claim caregiver without claiming disability under T2201 is possible.

After hours online with tech support (who argued that you can’t do this and that I need to apply for T2201) and then being forced to buy the expert tax help who then spent several hours with several calls with supervisors working on it, we finally discovered the answer.

When you fill out the initial info, your spouse is asked the questions below. Normally these questions only trigger an application later in the deduction fields but this question actually applies for the caregiver amount without doing anything after the fact. So despite your wife not being listed as a dependant (she should be) and despite you not showing as having received the Canadian Caregiver Credit, you actually have. As you can tell by this thread and the erroneous Admin answers, virtually no-one on the Turbo Tax team knows how this works, or will provide you with correct info regarding this issue. Hope this helps all those stuck on this one. 

did you have a mental or physical impairment?
Yes
No

Canada Caregiver Amount: I am dependent on Shaun because of an impairment

I had/have a disability

I have expenses related to my disability that enabled me to be employed, carry on a business, do research for which I received a grant, or study at a designated educational institution

Thank you for the update. We appreciate it. The answer I supplied above is how to apply the caregiver amount in the Forms View in TurboTax Download. The answer you gave is for the Easy Steps. Happy you received the help you needed.