Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which dependent to claim

I am a widow with 2 dependents. One lives away at University with a small summer income and the other is a high school student (no income). Which of my children do i claim as a dependent this year? My daughter in University will be transferring her tuition fees to me.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Which dependent to claim

Provide information in Turbo Tax for both of your children in the "Setting Up" tab > "Your Children and other dependents" area.

The younger child may be claimed as "Eligible Dependent" provide any Net Income (applicable) for this child in the "Deductions" > "Additional Dependent" tab.

You will also be able to calculate the transfer of tuition from your child in university under the "Deductions" tab "Claims for Dependents" as well as the "Eligible Dependent" amount for your younger child in this section.

You eldest will need to complete a tax return in their own name and indicate how much tuition (both Federal and Provincial) has been transferred to your tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Which dependent to claim

Provide information in Turbo Tax for both of your children in the "Setting Up" tab > "Your Children and other dependents" area.

The younger child may be claimed as "Eligible Dependent" provide any Net Income (applicable) for this child in the "Deductions" > "Additional Dependent" tab.

You will also be able to calculate the transfer of tuition from your child in university under the "Deductions" tab "Claims for Dependents" as well as the "Eligible Dependent" amount for your younger child in this section.

You eldest will need to complete a tax return in their own name and indicate how much tuition (both Federal and Provincial) has been transferred to your tax return.

Which dependent to claim

You claim both as dependents. However, you should choose the high school as an eligible dependent. You can then transfer tuition from your other child using their income.