Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mail20

Why does Turbotax only have "son" or "daughter" for entering children? My non-binary child is neither of these, so I have to lie on my tax form if I want to use turbotax?

I'm filing in Ontario, so the "quebec still asks for gender on some forms" response that I've found as a reply to similar inquiries does not apply.
3 Replies

Why does Turbotax only have "son" or "daughter" for entering children? My non-binary child is neither of these, so I have to lie on my tax form if I want to use turbotax?

A step-child is considered as your child for tax purposes and can be entered as son or daughter without problems from the Canada Revenue Agency. You will indicate that they are your child, as long as you are eligible to claim them. Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mail20

Hi TurboTaxGinette,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it seems you have totally misunderstood my question. I did not ask about step children. I asked about a child with a non-binary gender identity, i.e. a child which is neither boy nor girl, and therefore not "son" or "daughter" either.

Just having "child" instead of the gendered options would make the most sense, no? Especially if the kids' gender isn't even relevant to the CRA why does Turbotax ask for it? This does not only apply to kids but for several of the other options as well (e.g. there is no "parent" available only "mother" and "father." though, for some reason, you have "grandparent" in addition to "grandfather" and "grandmother")

So I need turbo tax to update the input form on the "tell us about your dependents" screen to add gender neutral options for dependents that do not have a binary gender identity. In my case, that would be fixed my replacing "son" and "daughter" with "child" but others might also need "sibling," "parent," and so on.

Thanks. 

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.