Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcino2

My disabled mother lived with me and my spouse in 2016 until she passed late August. I know I can claim her as a dependant but where can I do this if she wasn't in 2015

I also paid for her Alternate Care during the time she lived with me. Can I claim this as medical expense?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My disabled mother lived with me and my spouse in 2016 until she passed late August. I know I can claim her as a dependant but where can I do this if she wasn't in 2015

You can claim your mother as a dependant as long as she was dependent on you during the tax year (2016). In TurboTax, you would first enter your mother as a dependant, and then claim dependant credits for her. 

And yes, you can claim expenses you paid for her care as a medical expense. 

• Enter information about your dependants in the Introduction > Dependants section of the interview. 
  • Claim dependant credits under Deductions & Credits > Dependants profile. 
  • Claim medical expenses under Deductions & Credits > Medical expenses profile. 

Follow these links for more detailed instructions:

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim your mother as a dependant as long as she was dependent on you during the tax year (2016). In TurboTax, you would first enter your mother as a dependant, and then claim dependant credits for her. 

And yes, you can claim expenses you paid for her care as a medical expense. 

• Enter information about your dependants in the Introduction > Dependants section of the interview. 
  • Claim dependant credits under Deductions & Credits > Dependants profile. 
  • Claim medical expenses under Deductions & Credits > Medical expenses profile. 

Follow these links for more detailed instructions: