Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I filed my tax but didn't do it with for my wife. How do I do it now.

I have used TurboTax for all my taxes and have always filed tax for me and my wife at the same time but this time I filed my personal tax without her ..... so how can I add her tax to my return or do i have to file her return independently in which case how do I make sure there is no mistake.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you will need to file her return. Simplest way again using individual not joint prep.
You could file her with Turbotax, using NetFile or on paper.

It is true you need to avoid errors.
Generically, things to watch for:
Make sure you report your own information details including Net Income accurately.
Make sure she does not claim any benefits and credits that you have already claimed.
Make sure she claims any benefits you as a family may be eligible for, but you did not claim.

Here's another approach you might consider. A little more tricky.
Start a new return. Opt for joint preparation. Enter all your info as in the return you filed, and enter your spouse info. Before filing her return, check to see what has changed on your own return by comparing line by line with what has changed.
You can then file only her return.

With your return already filed, you cannot refile it for 2016, but you can make changes. Or you can await CRA reassessing your return, which they may or may not do.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, you will need to file her return. Simplest way again using individual not joint prep.
You could file her with Turbotax, using NetFile or on paper.

It is true you need to avoid errors.
Generically, things to watch for:
Make sure you report your own information details including Net Income accurately.
Make sure she does not claim any benefits and credits that you have already claimed.
Make sure she claims any benefits you as a family may be eligible for, but you did not claim.

Here's another approach you might consider. A little more tricky.
Start a new return. Opt for joint preparation. Enter all your info as in the return you filed, and enter your spouse info. Before filing her return, check to see what has changed on your own return by comparing line by line with what has changed.
You can then file only her return.

With your return already filed, you cannot refile it for 2016, but you can make changes. Or you can await CRA reassessing your return, which they may or may not do.

Thanks tony for the detailed message. Awesome

Appreciate the extensive response Tony. Tax filer should note that if they choose to create a second return with joint preparation to verify that the original tax return was done correctly (important to confirm) Turbo Tax will charge for 2 tax returns. You may determine that the returns are correct using this option but create a third return to match for just your spouse and pay only for her tax return.

You will need to create your spouses return independently. Provide the marital status and details of spouse (you) as required in the Spouse area of Turbo Tax. Also review the details area of your tax return to make sure the correct deductions and credits were calculated based on family income.

You can access a detailed summary under the "Review" tab > "Bottom Line (tax summaries)" > in the lower left hand corner (paper + magnifying glass) click on "Detailed Tax Summary"