Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Full time Student vs newly graduated

My daughter graduated last May and was a fulltime student.   Do I list her occupation as fulltime student OR as a registered nurse which she is from July 2023?  Also, should I check the box YES, over 18 and full time student.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Do I list her occupation as fulltime student OR as a registered nurse which she is from July 2023?

A.  Registered nurse, since that is what she currently is and was at year end. It actually doesn't matter, what you enter. That info is only used by the IRS for statistical data.

Q.  Also, should I check the box YES, over 18 and full time student.  

A. Yes.  That info will be used to help determine if she can be your dependent for 2023 (probably not). 

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. 

The support test is different for each type. The support test, for a QC, is only that the child didn't provide more than half his own support. The support test for a Qualifying Relative is that the taxpayer provided more than half the relative's support.

So, my CPA told me she is a dependent as over 6 months of support and she is a QC.

But, I will state she is a FT student, but under occupation, should I list student or what she became after college?

Thanks!

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Under occupation, should I list student or what she became after college?

A. It doesn't matter. What ever you put does not affect whether you can or do claim her as a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies