Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

silvaca98

The reason for not qualifying for the American Opportunity Credit is that " Education institution employer ID number (EIN) not entered", which I have. How do I fix this?

I have also tried deleting the form and reentering it, but am getting the same error. I have also tried typing the EIN instead of copy/paste, and it still doesn't work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

The reason for not qualifying for the American Opportunity Credit is that " Education institution employer ID number (EIN) not entered", which I have. How do I fix this?

Please revisit the screen that says " Type in the info from your 1098-T."

• The box that is labeled Filer's federal ID no.  is the (EIN)  for the school, not the student's social security number. 
  • This sometimes may cause the error.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
crissy82

I brought over my 2018 tax return that has the same college EIN number as my 2019 but I keep getting the error that it is not entered.   I have deleted the form and redone it numerous times.  I also can see it listed on the 1098-T form and it is correct.  How do I fix this?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please go through the Education Interview. There may be an answer regarding the school or degree answered incorrectly. 

kjedit

I am having the same problem 

i entered the Federal id number and rechecked all answers and it still has same Error

thanks Ken

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You would have to print out your required tax forms and submit them by mail. 

@kjedit

NicoID

I do not think we're getting accurate information and updates to Federal and State affecting the form.

• Foreign Exchange students that have filed 2018 and prior were fine till 2019.
  • You can no longer submit your taxes electronically unless you enter a correct EIN for the school.
  • Foreign school, many do not have EIN numbers compared to US Based.

Families supporting kids that go to a International Accredited school throughout the world are left with short end of the stick.

Trying to enter any of the following 99-999999 or 00-000000 will not yield any positive results.

Leaving it blank and entering a foreign address with blank EIN will still yield or flag it for corrections.

This can be a difference of paying back quite a bit of taxes, or receiving a small amount.  I think we need Intuit/TurboTax to be more clear and fix the bug.  If there is proof needed I'm sure the families are able to provide.  Many are stuck and unsure how to proceed.

Liam079

I am having the exact same issue. Is there a solution to this? 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Try deleting and re-entering the 1098-T.

Click this link for more info on EIN not entered.

This link has instructions on How to Enter a 1098-T

I am having the same issue.  Has someone found a fix for this?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the 1098-T and re-entering it.     How to delete forms in TurboTax

Go back through the Education section and re-enter the 1098-T.    If you have an actual 1098-T with the correct US issued 9 digit EIN, answer Yes to the Did you get a 1098-T?  question.   If you are using anything else, answer NO to the Did you get a 1098-T? question.   The next screen allows you to indicate if you have an exception to the 1098-T requirement.  

Some important tips about entering this form:

• Enter your 1098-T exactly as is, even if the amounts are wrong (this is common).  You'll get a chance to correct this info and enter additional expenses later on
  • Leave blank boxes blank. Don't enter 0 for any blank boxes on the form, as this generates errors
  • Parents: If the student listed on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return, even if your dependent paid the tuition
  • Students: If you're not being claimed as a dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return regardless of who paid the tuition, unless it was your employer. In that case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records
  • TurboTax Free Edition doesn't support Form 1098-T

@pkwhitmore 

1098-T exception.jpg

holychronos
Returning Member

I believe this is a genuine technical error on TurboTax. I was able to get my AOTC when I revised my form in the "Federal Review" stage and was able to enter my EIN after the 3rd time I "reviewed" the form. Then I was prompted to "Relaunch my Deduction Calculator" (or something of that nature) and then my AOTC appeared affective.

I made a Discussion Post myself and posted the above here. I thought I'd reply here so the answer is more findable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies