Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

6mathews

Why don't I qualify for Education Credit

I am getting the message "there are no net qualified education expenses" when entering education expenses information. My son, whom I am claiming as a dependent, is in his second year of working toward his 4-year degree, he is at a qualified school, we received a 1098-T stating that he had $1200 in tuition and fees, and he had $475 in books and materials. Why am I unable to get this credit? All of the information that I can find leads me to believe that he is eligible and that these expenses qualify. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Please review the Form 1098-T to determine if there are scholarship awards in Box 5.  Qualifying expenses would be reduced by this amount.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
6mathews

Thanks for your reply. I have confirmed that Box 5 is empty. He did not receive any scholarships and yet I am still getting the message that there are no net qualifying education expenses. And also, just to confirm, this is in the downloaded version of TurboTax. When I filled in the same information in the online version (I haven't paid for it yet since I already purchased the download version), it allowed all of my expenses to be claimed for the AO credit.

if you are using the desktop version, go into the dependent section in Forms View and be sure all the questions are answered.  That is probably the issue, 

6mathews

Thank you that solved it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies