Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhambly1465
Returning Member

After entering all income for myself and spouse, and then entering child care expenses, nothing is showing as a deduction. The children are 9 & 11.

I have applied the expenses to one spouse, then to the other, and then to both. Makes no difference. All dependent info is correct. This has never happened before.
2 Replies
Trek1
Returning Member

After entering all income for myself and spouse, and then entering child care expenses, nothing is showing as a deduction. The children are 9 & 11.

Thank you for your question.

When claiming child care expenses on your tax return, the income section for both spouses will need to be completed on your return before claiming child care expenses.

TurboTax automatically attributes these expenses to the spouse with the lower net income, as required by the CRA (when filing a joint return). However, the spouse with the higher net income can claim the expenses if the spouse with the lower net income met one or more of the CRA’s exceptions during the tax year.

Child care expenses will not be calculated on your return if either your balance owing or income is $0, since child care expenses are nonrefundable and accompanied by income caps (two-thirds of your earned income, in most cases).

Please note that as per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you are not entitled to claim child care expenses; when the child care services are provided by an individual who is one of the following:

• the eligible child's parent
  • your spouse or common-law partner, if you are the father or the mother of the eligible child
  • a person for whom you or another person claimed an amount on line 30400, 3042530450, or 30500 of the return
  • a person under 18 years of age who is related to you.

If you are still having difficulties, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

Thank you for choosing Turbo Tax.

mhambly1465
Returning Member

I had a single box ticked under Canada caregiver amount. This caused the daycare amounts not being considered. I'm surprised the software didn't offer up a warning noting that despite $8K of child care expenses being entered the claim is ineligible as a caregiver box has been ticked.