Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepg82

Non resident spouse (line 303)

I have financially supported my non resident wife. Her income is $0. I don't want to claim the spouse credit since I have no income and it wouldn't make a difference in my refund.

I looked at the summary and line 303 has $11 474 entered. Does this mean I'm claiming it? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/855242-do-i-need-to-declare-my-spouse-s-income-if-the... says nothing should be entered in line 303. How do I get rid of it?  I'm using the free version

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The best way to show this is when you are asked as to the residency of your spouse, indicate they are a non-resident.  A following question asks if their income is zero.  Say no, but do not enter an actual amount for your spouse's income.  This will take care of the spousal credit.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The best way to show this is when you are asked as to the residency of your spouse, indicate they are a non-resident.  A following question asks if their income is zero.  Say no, but do not enter an actual amount for your spouse's income.  This will take care of the spousal credit.

deepg82

But isn't entering $20000 untrue since she doesn't work, or does it not matter?

No. You are just getting the software to calculate the correct spousal credit.

You should already have indicated that your spouse does not live in the country, so it doesn't affect other benefits.

Hello, my wife lives in Venezuela and shes non resident of canada right now. I'm trying to claim her under my 2016 taxes. I send her money every so often maybe two or three times a year. But I send the money to her ex boss bank account which is in florida. The ex boss gives the money to her as soon as the transaction is complete. I kept all the receipts with me. How exactly do I complete this "line 303" in my case? She doesn't work now cause so hard to find work in her country. I know her net income is "zero". But what exactly do i do in order to claim her? And since I'm transferring the money to the ex boss, will CRA have a problem with this when they review my assessment? Only reason, I'm sending money to the boss and took this risk is cause Venezuela is so messed up now. If I send money directly to her venezuelan bank account, the bank will just take a huge portion of the money as service fees. Please let me know. Thank you.

When you enter the $20,000 the spousal credit is deleted but it creates a spousal transfer credit.  How do I get rid of that?