Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you claim prescribed Herbal Medicine from the foreign country as medical expenses?

I was prescribed herbal medicine from a Traditional Korean Medicine Practitioner (similar to a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner) in South Korea (i.e. foreign medical service) for spine injury treatment.

I am confused if I can claim this herbal medicine expense as a medical expense in my Tax Return because it was not sold nor recorded by a pharmacist, but directly by the hospital. However, it is fully lawful and not able to acquire without a prescription.

The practitioner who prescribed is actually considered a doctor of Korean medicine in South Korea, and the hospital he belongs to (called Jaseng) has a patent for the prescribed herbal medicine. I know since this is Canada, he is still the practitioner from the point of CRA's view.

I live in Ontario. I'd appreciate any opinions. Thank you.

1 Reply

Can you claim prescribed Herbal Medicine from the foreign country as medical expenses?

As seen in this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link: Details of medical expenses

Prescription drugs and medications that can lawfully be obtained for use by the person only if prescribed by a medical practitioner. Also, the drugs or medications must be recorded by a pharmacist. You cannot claim over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or supplements, even if prescribed by a medical practitioner (except Vitamin B12). 

As per the prescription coming from a foreign country, you should contact the CRA for clarification at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.