Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company year end: Dec31. Our Xmas party occurred between Dec 31 '15 and Jan 3 '16. When claiming expenses in 2015 return, can I include the portion incurred in 2016?

Just trying to figure out how to claim the 'meals and entertainment' expenses for a company event that occurred over several days, between Dec 31 2015 and Jan 3 2016.  The company's year end if Dec31.

Must these expenses be split up between the 2015 and 2016 returns?  Or, since were incurred for the same event, can I claim them all in my 2015 return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Company year end: Dec31. Our Xmas party occurred between Dec 31 '15 and Jan 3 '16. When claiming expenses in 2015 return, can I include the portion incurred in 2016?

You will need to provide receipts. If you bought your meals in December 2015 and you can provide  these receipts, yes you can claim them on your 2015 return. However if you have receipts with a date in 2016, you will need to wait the next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will need to provide receipts. If you bought your meals in December 2015 and you can provide  these receipts, yes you can claim them on your 2015 return. However if you have receipts with a date in 2016, you will need to wait the next year.