Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pascal_poirier
Returning Member

COVID 19 Home office that doesn't fit CRA examples (partial room)

Trying to see if the detailed method will get be a bigger return but have having issue trying to figure out the examples, as none fit. 
I like may did to not expecting to have to work from home and do not have a spare room in the apartment for a home office, so that example does not work.  However, I am required to have extra delicate equipment above and beyond my laptop which makes the kitchen table example unpractical and somewhat risky for my work equipment.  As such I have resorted to using as small as possible corner of the living room as dedicated space for my office setup but because it is in the living room the entire room becomes off limits during work hours and no one can use the TV as it is a few feet away and would be distracting.  
As such it feels like I almost have a very small dedicated space 100% of the time and a partial space for 8 hours x 5 days a week.  This situation does not match with any example or the online calculators.  Am I only stuck doing one or the other?  Anyone else in this boat?

1 Reply

COVID 19 Home office that doesn't fit CRA examples (partial room)

For you to get an accurate calculation on how much you should claim, I suggest you use Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) calculator. Here is the link: Home Office Expense Calculator

I would suggest that your type of workspace is a Common (Shared) area as it is used for other uses like the TV. The calculation for common areas is:

•  40 hours (hours worked)
  • divided by 168 hours (total hours in a week)
  • times 100 (to convert into a percentage)
  • equals 23.8% (percentage of time you can claim for the work space)

And then from there you can include your income, deductions, and expenses associated to claim your benefit. For more guidance, please see the Canada Revenue Agency on how to Determine Work Space Use.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.