Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgreene3

Does anyone else filing charitable donations with spouse causing one spouse to have to pay the next years estimated taxes in instalments?

this caused by a flaw in turbo tax not allowing the deductions to be split between spouses
5 Replies

Does anyone else filing charitable donations with spouse causing one spouse to have to pay the next years estimated taxes in instalments?

Were you using TurboTax Online or TurboTax Download?

jgreene3

using the download

jgreene3

using the download

Did you split your charitable donations? You can verify which way would be best so that you owe less or get a refund- depending on your tax situation. Please see below: 

Then go to the "Find" on top of your return and type in Charitable donation optimizer. Go; it will help you see which one of you should claim or both possibly should claim the donation to make  you have a better return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

jgreene3

The steps listed below dont seem to be an option in the Standard package (you used Home and Business).  I had to file separately to get the split.  I even called your help desk and they "remotely accessed" into my computer and verified that the donations in the standard package could not be split. Nor would the optimizer allow a split

For example - If not split, total refund for both $8000 with donations; but one gets 12000 refund and the other  $4000 bill (this bill triggers a CRA instalment for the next year)