Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gean400

During tax year 2016, I was self employed (5 months), unemployed (1 months), employed ( 6 months). Please advise on the following questions. Thanks.

During tax year 2016, I was self employed (5 months), unemployed (1 months), employed ( 6 months). On Turbotax business use of home/ T2125 home expenses page, could I input all expenses(mortgage interest, property tax, heating, eth.) amount for whole tax year?  
And my cell phone bill is business and personal combined together,  How could I input the amount?      
And could I input gas expenses for driving to work of whole year and CAA member fee on T2125 vehicle expenses page?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

During tax year 2016, I was self employed (5 months), unemployed (1 months), employed ( 6 months). Please advise on the following questions. Thanks.

1) Claim only the period of time that relates to your self-employment then take the proration of rooms (or square footage) on those amounts.

2) Claim a reasonable portion of your cell phone usage related to business activities.

3) You can claim Business use of an Auto Mobile, again based on the months applicable and the mileage ratio.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

1) Claim only the period of time that relates to your self-employment then take the proration of rooms (or square footage) on those amounts.

2) Claim a reasonable portion of your cell phone usage related to business activities.

3) You can claim Business use of an Auto Mobile, again based on the months applicable and the mileage ratio.