Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nanukdar

Good morning, I moved from the Northwest Territories mid November of 2016 and would like to claaim the Northern Living Allowance from the NWT.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Good morning, I moved from the Northwest Territories mid November of 2016 and would like to claaim the Northern Living Allowance from the NWT.

If you are referring to the Northern Residence Deduction, the criteria for claiming it is:

To qualify you must have lived on a permanent basis, in a prescribed northern zone (Zone A) or in a prescribed intermediate zone (Zone B) for a continuous period of at least six consecutive months. This period can begin or end in the tax year specified on Form T2222. 

Given that the NWT is in prescribed Zone A, if you lived in the NWT from the beginning of 2016 onwards for 6 months or longer, you would qualify to claim the Northern Residence Deduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are referring to the Northern Residence Deduction, the criteria for claiming it is:

To qualify you must have lived on a permanent basis, in a prescribed northern zone (Zone A) or in a prescribed intermediate zone (Zone B) for a continuous period of at least six consecutive months. This period can begin or end in the tax year specified on Form T2222. 

Given that the NWT is in prescribed Zone A, if you lived in the NWT from the beginning of 2016 onwards for 6 months or longer, you would qualify to claim the Northern Residence Deduction.

nanukdar

Thank you!  I will go to Revenue Canada, Edmonton to fill out form T2222.