Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjcole

How do I enter medical expenses for a dependent on Line 331? These are based on the dependent's net income, not mine - that's Line 330 which is not for dependents.

I'm trying TurboTax because H&R Block Online also did this incorrectly and put my dependent's medical expenses on Line 330 instead of Line 331.

Line 330 should be for my and my spouse's medical expenses, which won't give any refund if it's less than 3% of my net income.

But for dependents, it only has to be more than 3% of the DEPENDENT'S net income as shown in the link below. Since all my children's income are $0 all of their medical expenses should count regardless of how much they are.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Line 331

Step 2

Find out which amount is less between:

3% of your dependant's net income (line 236)

or

$2,302

1 Reply
jjcole

How do I enter medical expenses for a dependent on Line 331? These are based on the dependent's net income, not mine - that's Line 330 which is not for dependents.

My mistake, Line 331 is only for children born in 2000 or earlier, or grandchildren.