Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chillyk61
Returning Member

How do I enter travel medical exp for 91.5 km one way? Do I enter as a medical receipt & for the amt enter the amt of the return trip km times rate per km(183*.435=79.60)

where to enter travel medical expenses on turbo tax software

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter travel medical exp for 91.5 km one way? Do I enter as a medical receipt & for the amt enter the amt of the return trip km times rate per km(183*.435=79.60)

Yes travel for medical purposes would be included with other medical receipts such as prescriptions and dental. List the item separately for the round trip and describe the expense as Travel for Medical Purposes. You can also claim a meal expense for every 4 hours of your journey at the simplified rate of $17.00 per meal.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes travel for medical purposes would be included with other medical receipts such as prescriptions and dental. List the item separately for the round trip and describe the expense as Travel for Medical Purposes. You can also claim a meal expense for every 4 hours of your journey at the simplified rate of $17.00 per meal.

chillyk61
Returning Member

Thank you for answering this for me TurboTax Terry. However, I have a further question on this.  If I add the meal to the expense the daily travel/meal expense for this is $96.60.  I make this trip three time per week.  That therefore would be a total of $15,069.60 in medical expenses. Is this correct? If so, would I enter each trip on the software or just the total?

It might be easier to total your meals and mileage for the year and enter them as two amounts, you would keep your log separate and have it available should CRA ask to see it. The total of your expenses will be based on the number of trips and costs, there is no limit for legitimate medical expenses.