Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derekwt9

How do I report the transfer of a principal residence following a tax-payers death to her 2 children? I don't want to trigger a capital gain. Thanks

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I report the transfer of a principal residence following a tax-payers death to her 2 children? I don't want to trigger a capital gain. Thanks

When there is a disposition of a residence that was the principal residence of the taxpayer, the disposition must be reported in the tax year that the disposition takes place (in this case there is a deemed disposition due to a death).  However, provided that the disposition is entered as a disposition of a principal residence, although you will be required to provide information regarding this disposition, no capital gain will be realized because a capital gain on the disposition of a principal residence is NOT subject to tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When there is a disposition of a residence that was the principal residence of the taxpayer, the disposition must be reported in the tax year that the disposition takes place (in this case there is a deemed disposition due to a death).  However, provided that the disposition is entered as a disposition of a principal residence, although you will be required to provide information regarding this disposition, no capital gain will be realized because a capital gain on the disposition of a principal residence is NOT subject to tax.