Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sugartune

How to retrieve previous year's medical receipts?

I see that my 2013 medical receipts are in the system, because the software asks me if I'd like to carry them forward. I checked off the box, but I do not see them in my medical expense summary. I know that I am allowed a one year range ending in 2014, but I just want to access those 2013 receipts in order to find the amounts/dates and determine the best range.

There is a question like this on here, but the responses do not address how to retrieve the 2013 receipts. 

Edited to add: I could go find the paper copies and determine the range from that, but by not seeing them in the medical expense summary, does that mean they're not actually there and I must re-enter them? Not sure if I will 'double up' on anything by doing this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You should refer to your 2013 PDF archive to see what you actually filed as Medical expenses.
CRA only sees and cares about what you filed, nothing else. They do not track unused Medical amounts, regardless of what may be entered in Turbotax.

Keep track of your medical expense offline, using tracking reports from your insurance plan if you have one. Keep your receipts. Create a spreadsheet to show what expenses you filed each year if you wish. I only use Turbotax for the amounts I wish to file in any given year, just to keep it simple.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You should refer to your 2013 PDF archive to see what you actually filed as Medical expenses.
CRA only sees and cares about what you filed, nothing else. They do not track unused Medical amounts, regardless of what may be entered in Turbotax.

Keep track of your medical expense offline, using tracking reports from your insurance plan if you have one. Keep your receipts. Create a spreadsheet to show what expenses you filed each year if you wish. I only use Turbotax for the amounts I wish to file in any given year, just to keep it simple.
sugartune

Thanks Tony! That all makes total sense. The spreadsheet idea is good -- I should have been keeping track offline.
I realized later that evening that I misinterpreted the 2013 receipts checkbox, in my tax stress haze.

Glad to be of assistance!