Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a personal trainer wondering where I claim my fitness equipment expenses such as workout equipment, blood pressure monitors, weight scales etc.?

1 Reply

I am a personal trainer wondering where I claim my fitness equipment expenses such as workout equipment, blood pressure monitors, weight scales etc.?

These type of equipment are capital expenditures. The part of the cost you can deduct or claim is called depreciation or, for income tax purposes, capital cost allowance (CCA)

Follow the steps:

Part I

1. Go to ðŸ”ŽFind and type "Self-Employment". Click Go 
  2. Enter the basic information about your business
  3. The system will guide you to answer a couple of questions related to your business expenses

Part II (after answer the questions related to your business expenses)

1. The page : " did you have any fixed assets?" Click Continue
  2.  Enter the Undepreciated capital cost from prior year or enter 
    • Class: How do I find the proper CCA (Capital Cost Allowance) class? 
    • UCC at beginning of year: The amounts left on your assets for further depreciation.

If this is your first year of claiming Capital Cost Allowance on an asset, you won’t need to enter any amount. Your undepreciated capital cost (UCC) is your running balance for each capital cost allowance (CCA) class from last year. You can find this info on last year's return, or, if you transfered your TurboTax return from last year into this year's return, this amount will already be filled in for you.

3. Click Done with CCA
  4. Type the amount do you want to claim in CCA For Year. 

You’re not required to claim CCA. You can choose to take none, all, or something in between the maximum-allowed CCA. Your maximum per-year claim depends on how your expense is classified by the Canada Revenue Agency. They’ve assigned classes to particular types of depreciable property, and there are assigned rates for each class.

If you’re not claiming CCA, you should still record the asset on your tax return the year you acquired it for future claims. When claiming CCA, it’s important to keep track of your balances, as you'll continue to use these numbers year after year.

5. Click Done

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.