Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fxigor

I get error for "child care expenses" declaration

I payed for day care for my 4 years old daughter throughout the 2016 year. For this I received RL-24 on my wife's name. Also, throughout the 2016 year I received a reimbursement from Revenu Quebec for daycare expenses. For this I received RL-19 on my name.
My wifi didn't work in 2016. She attended the school 

Within Turbotax online version, I entered RL-19 in “Relevé 19 - Advance Payments” screen (for my return) and RL-24 in “Child Care expenses screen” (for my wife's return). At REVIEW step I’ve got this error:

“The contribution set by the government that you paid for childcare services is not considered an eligible child care expense on your Québec return. If you received benefits from this program, ensure that the amounts entered on Relevé 24 are correct. All child care services must obtain a permit from the Ministère de la Famille et des Aînés or recognition of a coordinating office of home care if they receive more than six children. Child care service to more than six children without a license or recognition operates illegally. This does not apply to the exclusions provided for in Article 2 of the Act respecting educational childcare services to children.”

How can I properly enter my RL-19 and RL-24 in my case?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
anon13

I am not an expert, but I am in a similar situation and I did some research, so here is what I found out.

This is not an error but a warning, and it is related to this part of the Quebec tax declaration:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/declaration/produire/comment/aideligne/ligne434.aspx

In summary, if your child was attending a subsidized daycare (those at 8$ per day), and because of your family income you need to pay an additional contribution, that contribution cannot be declared as "childcare expenses" on your tax declaration. Since you have a RL-19 and RL-24 it probably means that you were using a non-subsidized daycare and you can (probably) ignore the warning.

Good luck

View solution in original post

2 Replies
anon13

I am not an expert, but I am in a similar situation and I did some research, so here is what I found out.

This is not an error but a warning, and it is related to this part of the Quebec tax declaration:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/declaration/produire/comment/aideligne/ligne434.aspx

In summary, if your child was attending a subsidized daycare (those at 8$ per day), and because of your family income you need to pay an additional contribution, that contribution cannot be declared as "childcare expenses" on your tax declaration. Since you have a RL-19 and RL-24 it probably means that you were using a non-subsidized daycare and you can (probably) ignore the warning.

Good luck

fxigor

I did a Pro Review and the anon's statement was confirmed