Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ycmei6

I have a positive Ontario tax reduction, but my Ontario non-refundable tax credits is equal to the Ontario income tax. What is the effect of the reduction then?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a positive Ontario tax reduction, but my Ontario non-refundable tax credits is equal to the Ontario income tax. What is the effect of the reduction then?

If your Ontario tax liability is already zero, then you can't reduce the taxes further.  If you still are showing a tax liability for Ontario, I suspect it is the Ontario Health Premium...which is a calculation based on your taxable income, and credits can not be used to reduce that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If your Ontario tax liability is already zero, then you can't reduce the taxes further.  If you still are showing a tax liability for Ontario, I suspect it is the Ontario Health Premium...which is a calculation based on your taxable income, and credits can not be used to reduce that.

ycmei6

Thank you! In this case is it possible to use fewer of my credits, for example by carrying forward more of my provincial tuition credits, so that I can take advantage of the tax reduction?

If you have tuition credits that can be used to reduce the current tax year's liability, you are required to use them.