Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajeive

I have two kids under 6. I entered child care receipt for only one child. The limit for 2016 should be $8000. But its checking only the combined limit for both kids at $16000. I need to enter $8000 manually because my receipt for one child is $10838? Why

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have two kids under 6. I entered child care receipt for only one child. The limit for 2016 should be $8000. But its checking only the combined limit for both kids at $16000. I need to enter $8000 manually because my receipt for one child is $10838? Why

This is a very good question.  Even though you may have only incurred child care expenses for one child, one of the variables used to determine the limit is how many children would be eligible for child care, and the value based on their respective ages. 

As you have two children, under 6 years old, your limit is $16,000.  So you are able to claim the full $10838 that you incurred in child care costs.

Review the following link which is a pdf version of the Child Care Expense form in the tax return.  You will see that it asks for the names of all eligible children, regardless of whether child care was incurred for them or not.  Then look at Part B...one of the determining factors is the number of eligible children, NOT how many children incurred child care.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/214/lgbl-eng.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply

This is a very good question.  Even though you may have only incurred child care expenses for one child, one of the variables used to determine the limit is how many children would be eligible for child care, and the value based on their respective ages. 

As you have two children, under 6 years old, your limit is $16,000.  So you are able to claim the full $10838 that you incurred in child care costs.

Review the following link which is a pdf version of the Child Care Expense form in the tax return.  You will see that it asks for the names of all eligible children, regardless of whether child care was incurred for them or not.  Then look at Part B...one of the determining factors is the number of eligible children, NOT how many children incurred child care.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/214/lgbl-eng.html