Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emelyn

I would like to claim the disability tax credit for my husband as he had and accident and can't work bec of physical impairment , where can I put?

I was trying to add my husband under dependent and it says husband cannot be dependent and where is the disability tax located?
1 Reply

I would like to claim the disability tax credit for my husband as he had and accident and can't work bec of physical impairment , where can I put?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), if your husband has a severe and prolonged impairment, he may apply for the credit. If he is approved, he may claim or transfer the credit at tax time. He must be approved first.
To learn more about the Disability Tax Credit (DTC), please see this CRA webpage: Disability Tax Credit (DTC)
For more information, please see our TurboTax FAQ: What is the disability tax credit and how does it work?
Make sure to include yourself on the application, as the one the unused DTC can be transferred to. If he is eligible and is allowed the DTC, you will be allowed to have an adjustment made to your returns.
Thank you for choosing TurboTax.