Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j-kastor

If I paid for travel insurance in 2020, 2021 and 2022, but have not claimed it, can I claim the medical portion of the premium as a medical expense now?

1 Reply

If I paid for travel insurance in 2020, 2021 and 2022, but have not claimed it, can I claim the medical portion of the premium as a medical expense now?

Whether you are travelling for medical procedures, business purposes or just entertainment, you may write off the cost of your travel medical insurance premiums. You can claim any eligible medical expenses if they occurred in a 12-month period that ends in the current tax year. After you enter your medical expenses, TurboTax will prompt you to choose your 12-month claim period.

For example, the oldest medical expense that you can claim on your 2022 return is an expense from January 2, 2022, using a claim period of January 2, 2022, to January 1, 2023. You cannot claim any expense prior to that. 

For more guidance, please visit Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) webpage,  Eligible medical expenses you can claim on your tax return

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.