Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I took my daughter to Panama City, Panama for Stem Cells in 2016 and 2017. Can I claim flights, accomodations, medical proceedures and expences for this and where?

1 Reply

If I took my daughter to Panama City, Panama for Stem Cells in 2016 and 2017. Can I claim flights, accomodations, medical proceedures and expences for this and where?

Quoting from the CRA (link below) 

“Medical services outside of Canada – if you travel outside Canada to get medical services, you can claim the amounts you paid to a medical practitioner and a public or licensed private hospital. A "licensed private hospital" is a hospital licensed by the jurisdiction that it operates in.”

Quoting from TurboTax Tips (link below) 

“Travel Expenses for International Medical Services

If you must travel out of the country to receive medical care, you may write off your travel expenses for that international journey. To qualify, the medical services you receive must not be readily available near your home, and you must travel at least 80 kilometers away from your home.

If public transit, such as buses, trains or airplanes, can take you to your destination, you may write off the cost of your ticket, but you may only write off the cost of driving yourself if public transit is not available. If your doctor certifies in writing that you need an attendant to help you travel, you may also deduct your attendant’s traveling expenses.”

You will apply these in the Deductions tab; drop down to Medical Expense Profile. You can only carry forward 12 months at a time.

More here from TurboTaxTips as well: Out of Country Medical Expenses -https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/out-of-country-medical-expenses-5339

Last but not least - please make sure you keep all receipts or documentation from your doctor or the medical facility treatment outside of Canada for at least 6 years in case the CRA requests them later.