Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmchutter

Medical travel for birth of baby

I live in a Masset in Northern BC. The hospital here does not support labour and birth which means I had to travel more than 90km to have my son in May 2014. My husband, 2 year old daughter and myself were away for 30 days waiting to have our son. Am I able to claim meal expenses for all of us as a medical expense?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Amnoteor

This may not all be eligible.

Your costs are reasonable, and if supported by receipts, should be able to be claimed. Although you would naturally want family with you, there is not a MEDICAL reason for having husband and daughter with you, so those are probably not claimable. If there was a medical reason, you'll need supporting documentation from a doctor or the hospital.

A claim for 30 days is liable to raise a red flag for CRA, so make sure that you only claim what can be supported by documentation, since it is likely that you will be asked to provide substantiation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Amnoteor

This may not all be eligible.

Your costs are reasonable, and if supported by receipts, should be able to be claimed. Although you would naturally want family with you, there is not a MEDICAL reason for having husband and daughter with you, so those are probably not claimable. If there was a medical reason, you'll need supporting documentation from a doctor or the hospital.

A claim for 30 days is liable to raise a red flag for CRA, so make sure that you only claim what can be supported by documentation, since it is likely that you will be asked to provide substantiation.

kmchutter

Thanks for your comments Amnoteor. Very helpful!
Amnoteor

Oh, I'm glad. It sounds like a blessed event ... and whether you get a tax deduction or not, how wonderful to have your family with you throughout the time!
(although it would be wonderful to stay on the island to give birth too, wouldn't it?)