Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canadian training credit balance is not on my 2019 tax return. How do I claim it in this year's return?

1 Reply

My canadian training credit balance is not on my 2019 tax return. How do I claim it in this year's return?

To be eligible for the CTC, you must be a Canadian resident no younger than 26 and no older than 65. Qualifying income is between $10,000 and $150, 743 (the upper limit is indexed annually), provided you have a Training Credit Limit from the prior year’s Notice of Assessment.

Please note: To use the CTC, you must attend and pay tuition to an eligible institution, including:

• University, college, or another Canadian facility offering post-secondary courses
  • Canadian schools offering occupational skill courses certified by the Ministry of Employment and Social Development

Here are the few steps you can follow to enter your tax credits for CTC:

1. Go to Your Student Profile by selecting Find from the menu
  2. Enter student in the search bar, then choose Students from the list of results and select Go
  3. Select Tuition fees on receipt, T2202, or TL11, and complete the tuition section of your return. If eligible, you’ll see the Canada Training Credit screen
  4. Enter the Canada Training Limit amount from your previous year’s Notice of Assessment (NOA). You'll then be directed to a screen showing your available credit amount and whether it can be claimed
  5. Once completed, you’ll see a Student Summary of the claim amount on your return

For more information please refer to these TurboTax FAQS:

What are Canada Training Credits, and how do I enter them into TurboTax?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.