Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Billmoses

My donations are reducung my fed tax to zero but when I add more income I get a positive fed tax figure but the amount to reduce the tax to zero does not change. Why?

2 Replies

My donations are reducung my fed tax to zero but when I add more income I get a positive fed tax figure but the amount to reduce the tax to zero does not change. Why?

The maximum donation credit you can claim is 75% of your net income. If you earn more, you may end up in a higher tax bracket, resulting in a higher marginal tax rate and more federal tax payable. This means your donation credit might not increase proportionally, and your donations may already be at the maximum credit limit based on your original net income.

The amount to reduce the tax to zero does not change because your donations may already be at the maximum credit limit based on your original net income, and the additional income results in more tax due to higher marginal rates.

Fore more information, please visit: Do Charitable Donations Reduce Taxable Income in Canada?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Billmoses

This year (2024) we have a split 270,000 dollar charitable tax receipt as well as our regular 15-20 thousand charitable giving so I want to maximize my donations each year to get it used up within the time limits.

We have about 300,000 dollars in RIFs and also stocks (outside of RIFs and TFSAs that we have had for thirty-forty years.  I will sell the stocks and buy ETFs to bring the capital gain forward in time (keeping enough for charitable giving with the no tax on capital gains).  I think in the Review section I can bump up allowed charitable gifts to the zero federal tax level. 

I am thinking the tax on 50,000 more income can be offset by a 50,000 donation.  In future years our minimum withdrawal will be reduced lowering taxes in future years.

I would appreciate any comments.  Thank you.