Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cammy

My husband is a non-resident living in the US. I do not want to trigger a personal exemption on line 303. How can I prevent this? Thanks!

CRA advised to send a separate letter with his world income, but for me to file as married, indicating he is a non-resident with 000-000-000 for the SIN and 0 income. I tried to do so in the Turbo program but it triggers the exemption on 303. I tried indicating no to 0 income as per Jeffrey at Turbo Tax's advice and it won't let me continue.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is a non-resident living in the US. I do not want to trigger a personal exemption on line 303. How can I prevent this? Thanks!

I'm going to assume that you are resident and you are not filing a joint return (since your spouse is non-resident).

If you want to not claim the spouse amount, on the Spouse form, make sure you input his income as higher than yours. This way, the spouse amount will not be claimed on your return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I'm going to assume that you are resident and you are not filing a joint return (since your spouse is non-resident).

If you want to not claim the spouse amount, on the Spouse form, make sure you input his income as higher than yours. This way, the spouse amount will not be claimed on your return.