Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My mother pays staff wages to her retirement residence. Can she claim them as medical expenses even though she doesn't have a disability?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mother pays staff wages to her retirement residence. Can she claim them as medical expenses even though she doesn't have a disability?

According to the CRA, seniors who live in a retirement home and are eligible for the disability tax credit can claim attendant care expenses as medical expenses. The maximum amount that can be claimed under this provision is $10,000 per year ($20,000 in the year of death). 

To make the claim, you must have a receipt from the retirement home showing the portion paid for attendant care and be eligible for the disability tax credit.

Since your mother is not eligible for disability tax credit, she cannot claim staff wages to her retirement residence as medical expenses.

Hope this answers your question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

According to the CRA, seniors who live in a retirement home and are eligible for the disability tax credit can claim attendant care expenses as medical expenses. The maximum amount that can be claimed under this provision is $10,000 per year ($20,000 in the year of death). 

To make the claim, you must have a receipt from the retirement home showing the portion paid for attendant care and be eligible for the disability tax credit.

Since your mother is not eligible for disability tax credit, she cannot claim staff wages to her retirement residence as medical expenses.

Hope this answers your question.