Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife and I have medical expenses. Can you tell me who can claim them? Does the person with the higher income have to claim them or does the person with the lesser?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I have medical expenses. Can you tell me who can claim them? Does the person with the higher income have to claim them or does the person with the lesser?

It generally makes more sense for the lower income person to claim them if they have income to absorb the credit. Otherwise, it can go on the higher income spouse. 

You need more than 3% of your net income or >$2237 in expenses to qualify. Only expenses over the threshold is calculating the credit. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It generally makes more sense for the lower income person to claim them if they have income to absorb the credit. Otherwise, it can go on the higher income spouse. 

You need more than 3% of your net income or >$2237 in expenses to qualify. Only expenses over the threshold is calculating the credit.