Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Residents Deduction-Trips

Question for Northern Residents Deduction - Trips: I understand how NRD works, my questions are around how to properly populate the information in the (unintuitive) TurboTax fields. I've gathered from forums that you can put all travelers and their combined expenses for a trip (and/or combined lowest return airfare) on a single row, but: 1. For each trip/row, do you fill out all the fields for Employment Benefit, Travel Expenses AND Lowest Return Airfare? I know you claim the lowest of the three, so do you fill in all three, or just the lowest? 2. If you enter more than one trip(row), do you split the employment benefit between the trips, or re-enter it as the full amount again? 3. We both have travel benefits, and we did one big trip that would likely cover both of our travel benefits - can we split that trip between us, or can only one of us claim the benefit of that trip?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1. For each trip/row, you would fill out all the fields; lowest amount will be handled by the software. 

2. For employment benefits that cover more than one trip, split the amount between the trips.

3. Since the lowest amount is taken, it would be beneficial to report the travel benefits individually. This way you can maximize the total amount as you'll be claiming two sets of travel benefits rather than be limited by one spouse's T4 amount.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

1. For each trip/row, you would fill out all the fields; lowest amount will be handled by the software. 

2. For employment benefits that cover more than one trip, split the amount between the trips.

3. Since the lowest amount is taken, it would be beneficial to report the travel benefits individually. This way you can maximize the total amount as you'll be claiming two sets of travel benefits rather than be limited by one spouse's T4 amount.