Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only claim medical expenses if i put in jan1/2021-dec31/21. trying to do aug20-aug21 and it wont pick up the value

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can only claim medical expenses if i put in jan1/2021-dec31/21. trying to do aug20-aug21 and it wont pick up the value

Finally… a work around… you have to add a second medical expense… using the same info and specify the date… then delete the original medical expense… it will then allow you to specify a 12 month period that doesnt end in 12/31/2021 and the value is picked up

hope this helps someone else who has this problem!!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you have transferred your 2020 tax return information to your 2021 return, there may be a connection with the end of the 12-month date you used then. Verify that last years 12 month period ended before August 20, 2021, and not after.

You can claim any eligible medical expenses if they occurred in a 12-month period that ends in the current tax year. After you enter your medical expenses, TurboTax will prompt you to choose your 12-month claim period.

For example, the oldest medical expense that you can claim on your 2021 return is an expense from January 2, 2020, using a claim period of January 2, 2020, to January 1, 2021.

You can use a different 12-month period each year--the period doesn’t have to start where your previous 12-month period ended. However, you can't claim the same expenses more than once.

Thank You for choosing TurboTax.

You should be able to claim the amount from August 2020 to August 2021.

To do this make sure you are ticking off the appropriate boxes.

1. Sign in to your tax return
  2. Click the Find button on the top-right of your tax return
  3. Write Medical Expenses and click Go
  4. On the Your Medical Profile for 2021 page, make sure you are selecting Medical Receipts 2020 (Unclaimed Receipts Only).
  5. Then click Continue
  6. Click Enter New Medical Expense
  7. Next, fill in this page and for the date write the date the medical expense took place click Done to save your information
  8. Then click Done With Medical Expenses
  9. On the Medical Expense page fill in the page but for the date make sure it is in this format (dd/mm/yyyy)
  10. Next click Continue to save your information

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

No medical expenses were claimed in 2020

The only way it works in the program is if i use  Dec 31/2021 as the end date…. Any other end date and it wont add in the number to my return

twice been on phone with turbo tax…. And twice nothing works

Been a turbo tax user for a good 10 years and never had an issue…. This is very annoying 

Have checked boxes… unchecked boxes changed dates… all at direction of Turbo tax advisers using cobrowser… nothing works unless i use Dec 31/2021 as end date

Finally… a work around… you have to add a second medical expense… using the same info and specify the date… then delete the original medical expense… it will then allow you to specify a 12 month period that doesnt end in 12/31/2021 and the value is picked up

hope this helps someone else who has this problem!!!