Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do non-resident have to report T1135?

I live and work in US throughout 2017, I'm not a tax resident in Canada, but need to file Canadian tax because I've had some Canadian income from the stock vesting from a company I worked before in BC, Canada. I left in 2016.

The CRA website says "Only taxpayers resident in Canada have to file Form T1135". But Turbo tax will ask me if I have foreign properties worth more than 100K. If I choose yes, it will proceed to ask me properties details to create the T1135 for me, though I've already chosen in the setting up section, that I'm a non-resident.

Can I just choose I don't have foreign property worth more than 100K when asked by Turbo tax, so I can skip the whole T1135 section?

Thanks
3 Replies

Although  you may not have to pay taxes on it, you still have to declare your foreign property over $100,000 on your Canadian tax return.

But because it is the USA, we do have a tax treaty, therefore prevents us from being double taxed. 

The link below will assist you in entering in your foreign income sources in TurboTax:

How do I enter foreign income that is subject to a tax treaty?

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/264775

And if for whatever reason you needed to report "other" types of foreign investments/pensions/income sources.

How do I report foreign income, pension, and other foreign amounts? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647976

The above answer does not address the original question.

Do we even need to report foreign property (not income) worth over $100,000 on T1135 as non-residents.

CRA says non-residents are not required to report but TurboTax does not allow to skip this question.

Can I select "No" to the question and move on?

This is a really good question and I would like to have an answer to it, too. No credible answer has been provided after over a year.