Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
collards

Regarding the dtc

Hi, Hoping you can assist. My wife passed away a few years ago. CRA is indicting that I can claim her DTC for three years total. I don't need to send another T2201. Where in TurboTax do I submit this? I click on the tools button, see the credit, tell the program I want this and it sends me back to medical expenses. Is there a yearly figure I simply claim as "other" in your program?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Regarding the dtc

You would need to file adjustments to your taxes, for each tax year of her life when she was entitled to DTC but did not use it or transfer to you.
You would not use Turbotax for this. I suggest find a tax preparer although it is quite easy to create the T1-adj. form and it is available on-line.
You would need to find out how much DTC could be transferred to you for each year, then show that amount on your t1-adj. for each specific year. You would file three adjustments.
Be careful of tax promoters that offer retroactive filing for DTC, they could charge 20-25% of any rebate you are entitled to.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Regarding the dtc

You would need to file adjustments to your taxes, for each tax year of her life when she was entitled to DTC but did not use it or transfer to you.
You would not use Turbotax for this. I suggest find a tax preparer although it is quite easy to create the T1-adj. form and it is available on-line.
You would need to find out how much DTC could be transferred to you for each year, then show that amount on your t1-adj. for each specific year. You would file three adjustments.
Be careful of tax promoters that offer retroactive filing for DTC, they could charge 20-25% of any rebate you are entitled to.