Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbgorbet
Returning Member

Can I claim unclaimed childcare expenses from previous years?

I netfiled yesterday, and just discovered an unclaimed 2015 child care expense for $200, for which a receipt was issued.  TurboTax tells me that had I included it, it would have increased my refund by just under $100.

I understand that I can wait for my notice of assessment and file an amendment or something like that, but if I can simply keep it and file it with my 2016 taxes, I'll probably just do that.

Can one file unclaimed childcare expenses from prior years, in the current year's taxes?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

You cannot carry forward or claim 2015 child care expenses on your 2016 return.  You will have to request an adjustment to your 2015 return as noted by Martine

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fuzzy

You cannot carry forward or claim 2015 child care expenses on your 2016 return.  You will have to request an adjustment to your 2015 return as noted by Martine

For any changes you want to make please see below and follow directions.

Yes, you can make changes (amendments) to your current tax return, as well as a tax return for any of the previous 10 tax years, whether you filed by mail or electronically using NETFILE. Here’s how you should proceed to make changes:

1. Wait until you receive your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
  2. Once you’ve received your notice of assessment, visit the page http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/chngrtrn-eng.html?locale=en-ca&view=GBD_TURBOTAX?loca...  on the CRA website.
  3. Follow the instructions on the CRA website. You can change your return online or by mail.
    If you choose to amend your return(s) online, the processing time is approximately 2 weeks.
    If you choose to amend your return(s) by mail, the processing time is approximately 8 weeks.
rbgorbet
Returning Member

Thanks Martine.  I did understand that I could make amendments (as I pointed out in my original question).  I am asking whether I could just save the receipt for unclaimed 2015 childcare expenses and submit it with my 2016 taxes, which would save me the trouble of doing the amendment to 2015.

Thanks!
Rob.

As I mentioned any changes other then medical receipts or unused rrsps  can be claimed carried forward, however for childcare it must be entered in the year that you have paid it. This is why I have given you the information on the changes that need to be made.
ajibb

Going along with this question from few years ago.

My childcare provider charged me and included in a receipt for January 2021, two weeks payment for childcare expenses from December 2020. In this case is it appropriate to then claim this for Taxes for 2021 though it was for services received in 2020? 

Thanks.