Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milo8
Returning Member

The Canada Caregiver Amount, my husband and I both have DTC. Can I claim him on my taxes and he claim me on his? 2022 we didn't claim 30425, can I amend both of ours?

My DTC was approved this year for 2013-2029 and my Husbands is roughly the same. 2023, he claimed me - I didn't claim him. 2022 neither of us claimed eachother. Are we allowed to claim eachother and how far back could I go to amend our taxes?
When they did my re-assessment after approving my DTC they didn't include the Canada Caregiver Amount.
1 Reply

The Canada Caregiver Amount, my husband and I both have DTC. Can I claim him on my taxes and he claim me on his? 2022 we didn't claim 30425, can I amend both of ours?

As per the CRA: If you are eligible for the disability tax credit, the Canada Revenue Agency allows you to transfer unused tax credits to your spouse or common-law partner. Before doing this, you first need to claim the necessary amount to reduce your own taxable income to zero. Your spouse can then claim any left-over amount on line 316 of his/her tax return, provided you were living together during the tax year.  When applying for the DTC on the form, there is a place to put a check mark if you'd like the CRA to automatically go back and assess your returns and provide you with a reassessment so that you know if you are owed any monies, and if yes, they will send you a new Notice of Assessment with the numbers. 

For more information please contact the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.