Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curriecd

This is our first year claiming the DTC for our son. Why does it automatically put it on ghe highest earning spouse? How do I change that?

2 Replies

This is our first year claiming the DTC for our son. Why does it automatically put it on ghe highest earning spouse? How do I change that?

The Disability Tax Credit Transfer is non-refundable, which means it can only be used to reduce taxes owing. Since the higher earning spouse is more likely to have taxes owning, it goes to that spouse by default.

Unfortunately, if you are using TurboTax Online, there is no way to change which spouse is getting the disability transfer from the dependant. You can do so in TurboTax CD/Download, but you may not be able to NETFILE the return if you do.

If the higher income spouse was not identified on the initial DTC application, they can submit a written request to the CRA for the transfer. This request must be signed and include details of the support they provide for the basic necessities of life.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mcintotj

I think that this is a big flaw in the software. It is making parents who already have their hands very full with many tasks, now have to call the CRA and complete more paperwork to move over the documentation. If we as the parents do not care who it is claimed under (even if it is the lower income earner), isn't that our choice? I may end up just leaving Turbotax because of this.