Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camcgill

Want to enter nursing home expenses instead of the disability credit, but TT claims the credit automatically. How do I remove the disability claim amt?

According to CRA, you can claim the disability amount or the nursing home expenses but not both.  Also, you have to answer yes to the T2201 form for both scenarios, but TT alutomatically claims the disability amount when you do this. 

2 Replies

Want to enter nursing home expenses instead of the disability credit, but TT claims the credit automatically. How do I remove the disability claim amt?

If you've entered more than $10K of medical expenses and also claiming a disability tax credit, there is a Warning that comes up when you go to the Review section regarding this matter. If you click on "Applies to me" it will direct you to a Step that will allow you to either choose the Disability Tax Credit or the Nursing Home Expense as a medical expense.

Another way is to use the Navigation on the left, under Deductions and Credits, click on Disability Amount. It will bring you to the Disability amount step. On that step, answer "NO" to the question "Do you have a severe mental or physical impairment in 2017?". Don't worry, the answer to this question will not affect any T2201 that was filed with the CRA. By answering "NO" our software will simply not calculate the disability tax credit.

Lastly, you can not claim the disability tax credit, by going through Forms mode. In Forms mode, search for the Disability Tax Credit worksheet (DTC). On that form, again, select "NO" to the question  "Do you have a severe mental or physical impairment in 2017?".

To confirm that you are not claiming the DTC, you can go to Schedule 1 and make sure Box 316 is set to zero (unless you are claiming DTC for another person).

Unfortunately I spent a ton of time today and yesterday trying to figure out how to do this before registering for the Community and finding your solution.

Unfortunately the first option is not available in 2019 TurboTax Standard.

And the second option demonstrates just how poorly worded the DTC section is.  There's no indication that my answer that I'm no longer disabled will not be forwarded to CRA and confuse them.  In my experience if I confuse CRA it takes months to sort things out with them, so I'm extremely careful about the accuracy of what I NETFILE to them.  Can the wording be fixed for this tax season please?  There must be many more confused and frustrated users out there.