Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What medical expenses can I claim? thanks

Prescription co-pay?
Optical tomography?
dental co-pay
3 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Consulte este artículo de ayuda para obtener información de contacto y poder hablar con un representante bilingüe que pueda ayudarle.

jasper@2021 

As a Canadian taxpayer, you can claim certain medical expenses as tax deductions when filing your income tax return. These expenses must have been paid for by you or your spouse or common-law partner, and can be claimed for any 12-month period ending in the tax year.

Some examples of medical expenses that you can claim include:

1. Prescription medications
  2. Dental services (including co-pays and orthodontics)
  3. Eye exams, glasses, and contact lenses (including optical coherence tomography)
  4. Physiotherapy, chiropractic, and massage therapy services
  5. Medical equipment (e.g. mobility aids, hearing aids, and prosthetic devices)
  6. Travel expenses for medical treatment (e.g. mileage, parking, and public transit costs)
  7. Hospital services, including meals and accommodations, if required
  8. Home care services (e.g. nursing, attendant care, and housekeeping)

It's important to keep all receipts and supporting documentation for these expenses in case the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requests them as proof. The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) website provides more detailed information  please click the link on  eligible medical expenses. 

For more information, please see a few TurboTax FAQs below:

Which Dental Expenses Are Considered Deductible

What Qualifies As Medical Expenses

Which dental expenses can I claim

Thank you for choosing TurboTax!        

You can claim expenses for various medical products and services, travel expenses for medical treatment, attendant care, expenses for moving to accessible housing, and even premiums you paid to private health services plans.

Examples:

• Prescription drugs and medications that can lawfully be obtained for use by the person only if prescribed by a medical practitioner. Also, the drugs or medications must be recorded by a pharmacist. You cannot claim over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or supplements, even if prescribed by a medical practitioner (except Vitamin B12).
  • Dental services â€“ paid to a medical practitioner. Expenses for purely cosmetic procedures are not eligible.

Optical scanners or similar devices designed to allow a person who is blind to read print â€“ prescription needed.

You can check the list on Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website:

Details of medical expenses-Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) 

If you co-paid for something, you can only claim the part which you paid for and did not get reimbursed for by the insurance or anyone else.

Thank for choosing TurboTax.