Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardder

Why are child care expense not showing up on line 214? It should be assigned to my wife (who has the lower income) but it is still showing up as $0.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why are child care expense not showing up on line 214? It should be assigned to my wife (who has the lower income) but it is still showing up as $0.

Unfortunately, child care expenses claimed are limited to 2/3 of working income.  That is, either employment income, or self employment income.  Please refer to this link, and Part B of the T778 "Child Care Expenses Deductions for 2016."

As your wife's income does not consist of working income, then the maximum she can claim for child care is $0.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t778/t778-16e.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What are the sources of your wife's income?
edwardder

Hi Jeffrey.  Good day!  She was on mat leave so T4e is filled out. She also received Universal Child Care and that has also been inputted.  These are the only 2 sources on income for her.   Thanks!

Unfortunately, child care expenses claimed are limited to 2/3 of working income.  That is, either employment income, or self employment income.  Please refer to this link, and Part B of the T778 "Child Care Expenses Deductions for 2016."

As your wife's income does not consist of working income, then the maximum she can claim for child care is $0.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t778/t778-16e.pdf

edwardder

Thanks Jeffrey!  Yes.  Since my wife, chose to stay at home, she has $0 "working income"...